Who Inspires You?

photo credit: www.goodreads.com

photo credit: www.goodreads.com

As we finish reading A Long Walk to Water, Linda Sue Park’s riveting story about former Lost Boy Salva Dut, I know many of us have been profoundly affected by Salva’s treacherous journey to freedom. This young man, who at age 11 left his South Sudanese village amidst brutal civil war, came to lead 1200 boys and and young men to safety.

Salva Dut’s courage astounds his. His determination, not only to survive but to change his part of the world, leaves us awestruck. We marvel at his unrelenting determination. If you ever doubt your ability to singlehandedly make a difference in this vast universe, remember Salva Dut. One hope-filled person with a mission…that’s where change begins.

Speaking of Salva Dut, check out his response to my tweet. Pretty cool. 🙂 Now, tell me who inspires you and why. I can’t wait to read your replies.! Leave a comment with your blog URL. When you click on the title of this post, you’ll be able to see my example. 🙂

Salva Dut TWEET

44 thoughts on “Who Inspires You?

1. I wish that I had the guts to do what Salva did because he just jumped into the water that had crocodiles in it and I would never be able to do that!

2. Someone who inspirers me is my dad. He helps me do a lot of things. I am very happy that I have a dad that knows so many wonderful things and can show me how to do them.

3. My cousin Ben inspires me. He inspires me because he had cancer and put others needs before his. He started a fundraiser to help a local animal shelter when he was sick and he didn’t complain about anything. He also had a lot of pets. He had one horse two dogs three hamsters and two guinea pigs. He passed at age 8. The most hurtful part of that is that he wanted to be a Vet. The doctors said that he was 90% Cancer free but it came back. A lot of us wish Cancer could get Cancer and die. But doctors everywhere are working so hard to find a cure. He was such a brave boy and he will always be my inspiration to keep moving in my darkest hour.
    ~Leila C http://www.pawpolitics.edublogs.org

4. Who am I inspired by. I am inspired by my family. I am inspired by my family because they are all kind and sweet. well sometimes my sister can be kind and sweet but, not always. I am inspired by my dad because he helps me learn how to do things for my self. My mom is very kind and cooks for us and cleans the house. So she can teach me how to cook good meals. I am inspired my my sister because she is older and can help me learn more things about the world. I am so grateful and inspired by my family.

5. The person who inspires me the most is my mom. She is a teacher at George Washington University and she still has time to come home and take care of me and my sisters. She is an amazing mom and she never complains about anything. I love her so much, and I hope I can be like her one day.

-MIkayla

6. The person who inspires me the most would be Shailene Woodley. She is an amazing actor, and I loved Divergent and The Fault In Our Stars. It must of been hard to go from being a brave character that fights to a girl with a disease that can’t do much. I want to be an actress some day, and she inspires me to proceed with trying to be an actress.

I don’t know how to add my URL

7. My dad inspires me to become an accomplished individual! He wants me to learn and do well in school but at the same time stay who I am by hanging out with encouraging friends.

– Mariya

8. The person that inspirers me most is my mom because she takes care of the house and she takes care of me so I want to be just like her. [I didn’t know how hard a mom’s job could be :)}

9. Someone who inspires me is my dog because she is always SOOO happy and lives every moment to the fullest.My favorite part about her personality is that when ever im sad or stressed she makes me feel better by making me laugh or she brings her tennis ball so we can play.My dog inspires me to be a better person

• Hi Clare-
      My dogs are crazy happy like that, too! My spaniel, Lainey, is constantly shoving her toy in front of me. Sometimes I toss it up in the family room when my husband isn’t looking. Shhhh…don’t tell him. Also, be sure to check your punctuation and capitalization–even in a comment. Thanks!

Mrs. Rombach
      http://mrsrombachreads.edublogs.org/

10. The person who inspires me most is the protagonist America Singer from the Selection series. She is brave and not afraid to say what is on her mind. She also doesn’t need people to tell her what to do.

11. Someone who inspires me most would be my Father because he is good at problem solving and keeping his cool in emergencies.

12. The person who inspires me the most is my 76 year old grandma. She inspires me because five years ago, she took in my six cousins and their dad to live with her while their mom had problems. She fed them, got them dressed, took them places, and helped them with their homework. That is a lot of work for anybody, especially a senior citizen. She did that for five years until they moved out one year ago. She is an amazing lady.

13. The person who inspires me is Thomas, from the maze runner. Always trying to prevent people from dying, even if it’s risking his own life. I look up to him for the fact the he helped (Content deleted because of spoilers) before he could die. Thomas, to me, is a hero.

• Hi Xander –
      Just a reminder to capitalize proper nouns–even in comments. The Maze Runner get capital billing because it’s a book title. 🙂 Thomas is a brave young man, that’s for sure.

Mrs. Rombach

14. I am inspired by me family and friends. My friends inspire me by staying by my side in hard times and encouraging me to do stuff I wouldn’t volunteer to do. They also help me when I don’t understand things and always are there for me. My family keeps me warm and healthy and I wouldn’t be where I am now without all of them.

Hannah
    http://spottedelephants.edublogs.org

15. My family and friends inspire me. My family inspires me by helping me with things I don’t understand. They also teach me things I haven’t learned yet. My friends inspire me by encouraging me to try new things or go a little out of my comfort zone. They also inspire me by showing me things that they like to do so I can try them and if I like them we can do them together I may not always like the thing they recommend but it’s always fun to do things with friends.

Ella
    http://spikingitbyella.edublogs.org

16. Who inspires you?

“Tris” from the Divergent series inspires me most. She’s brave and courageous, she works hard and always gives her best effort. She cares about others and goes through hard obstacles.

17. The people who inspire me the most are my parents. My parents inspire me in many different ways. They inspire me to work hard and study to become a brain surgeon. Also they inspire me to do my homework. 🙂 They inspire me because it is just unbelievable of what they do. They pay taxes, they buy as food, they pay the rent, the water bill, the electricity bill, the cable bill, and so much more. They are like superheroes to me. Thats why my parents inspire me the most.

animeabhisblog.edublogs.org

18. The person who inspires me most is Jane Goodall because she worked so hard the find the answer to the mystery about chimpanzees, and all apes. They’re actually a lot like us, just more hairy and they live in rain forests. 🙂 She also loves animals.

19. Salva really inspires me, but other than him being my role model, Sri Mahatma Gandhi inspires me a lot. The way he believed that violence wasn’t the correct approach, and in the end, he was able to get people to get back their freedom without the use of violence. People who not only preach, but also practice that actually become very successful and happy in the end. Gandhi also never gave up even when he was penny-less. The perseverance is what takes a human to be able to such things. One day, I would like to change something in the world and make the world a better place to live.

Visit my blog soon!
    http://galaxyofwords.edublogs.org

20. My dad inspires me because he is nice, kind, smart, funny, creative and helps me and makes me understand stuff that I’m confused in.

21. People around the world inspire us every day. There are everyday people who want to do extraordinary acts. These are some people who serve everyday as a hero.
    . nurses and doctors
    . teachers and professors
    . soldiers that fight for a better life for us
    . a company that donates food, water, shoes for kids that are less fortunate
    . kids that recycle and pick up trash
    There are so many people around the whole world who want to make a change in the world one step at a time. People we see everyday are heroes. Like teachers, they work for hours and don’t get paid very much though the work they are doing is amazing. Don’t ever say that you are too small to make a change. You have seen other kids and adults doing it everyday, why can’t you try it? You don’t have to do something huge to be a hero. Simple thing can lead to something extraordinary.

From, Namitha

http://namithasreadtosucceed.edublogs.org

• Namitha-

Imagine if we all did something “small” to change the world. What a different world we’d live in. I love your comment. Thanks for sharing out such a thoughtful response. 🙂

Mrs. Rombach

22. Who inspires me? Katniss from” The Hunger Games” because she volunteered to participate in The Hunger Games. For her sister, she is risking her life like Superman saves citizens. For those of you who don’t know about The Hunger Games, it is a cruel game played. For children ages 12-18 to compete against each other ti’l death.
    http://thelailadailyreadingblog.edublogs.org/

23. The person who inspires me the most is my dad. He taught me a lot of things I know . I am really lucky too have him as my dad. Also Ludwick Marishane . He invented drybath so many poor African countries can bath without having to use water. This also saves tons of water.

• No, Ale, students are not allowed to advertise these blogs outside of the school community. You can certainly share with friends, classmates, and distant relatives. You’ll be happy to know I’ve already connected with a teaching friend in Australia and we plan to set up connections between our students come early February. With the Christmas holidays just weeks away, that isn’t long until we make that cross-continent connection (check out that alliteration!). I’m working on setting up connections with other classes, too. You’ll have more visitors soon…wait and watch your visitor count grow. 🙂

Cheers-
      Mrs. Rombach

24. Dear Sixth Graders,

Who inspires me? Holly, who dedicates her free time to nourishing and clothing the hungry. Kate, who changes attitudes by always speaking honestly from her heart. Mary, whose passion for the youth of the world led her and her husband to adopt two girls from Ethiopia.

I’m also inspired by my ever-curious children and witty husband who make learning a life-long passion. My fellow teachers inspire me; how fortunate I am to work alongside such dedicated educators. And then there’s you…the amazing sixth graders I’m blessed to teach. Each one of you, unique and wonderful, is a walking celebration. I’m super lucky to share my days with you.

Mrs. Rombach
    http://mrsrombachreads.edublogs.org
    (Notice how I add my URL beneath my name? By leaving my URL, I’m inviting the blogger to check out my blog, too).