Follow Directions: This Way to An Awesome Blogging Experience!

credit: www.edudemic.com

credit: www.edudemic.com

Be sure to read this entire post. 🙂

Quite a few students have been bending my ear, wondering when we’ll launch our student blogs. “Soon,” I say, with a twinkle in my eye.

I already know the riveting journey you’ve about to embark on, as I took this trip with last year’s sixth graders. Along the way, I learned some things I wouldn’t change for anything (like blogging with students) and other things that require a complete overhaul (like ample time to draft and publish).

On this journey, we’ll learn about one another–and about sixth graders around the world. We’ll connect with other students, teachers, and take a virtual peek into other blogging classrooms.

We’ll start small and build upon a firm foundation. We’ll make mistakes, but always we’ll learn from them. Best of all, we’ll take this journey together.

You can be an extraordinary student blogger–if that’s who you want to be. It’s important to remember that blogging will be as memorable and important and wonderful as you make it. It will be up to you–not Mrs. Rombach–to write interesting posts that connect with others. It will be up to you–not Mrs. Rombach–to put in the extra 10-15 minutes required to correct all the little typos or spelling errors that are like roadblocks for any reader. For inspiration, check out the blogs on my Alumni Bloggers blogroll, located on the right sidebar.

photo credit:: http://philstubbsteaching.files.wordpress.com/

*You’ll be expected to write upbeat, encouraging comments.

*You’ll be expected to respond to people who leave comments on your blog. Think of it as a conversation…back and forth, back and forth.

*You’ll be expected to post two blog assignments every month, although you’re always welcome to write more. We’ll draft them in class (in our writing journals) and write them at home or in the lab.

*You’ll be expected to credit all photographs, which we’ll discuss soon.

Now it’s time to watch a video. Imagine you’re a sponge and soak it all in.

After you’ve watched the video, leave a comment telling me (1) something you learned from the video AND (2) one thing about blogging that sounds exciting. Use only your FIRST NAME and LAST INITIAL. It’s important to protect your privacy. 🙂

To leave your comment, click on the title of this post and then scroll to the very bottom of the page for the comment box. Don’t wait until Friday to ask for help with this. I’m posting on Tuesday!) If you have a question, you can put that in your comment, too, and then look for my reply. 🙂

Follow the directions given here. Be sure to include the two items I’ve requested. I’ll be watching for one from everyone so I can enter your participation in the gradebook. 🙂

Cheerio!

Mrs. Rombach

62 thoughts on “Follow Directions: This Way to An Awesome Blogging Experience!

1. One of my goals as a reader is to read the goal of books to read this year, but also to read even more than that. One of the things I learned in the video was that there is four parts of a blog the header, the side bars, the footer, and the body.

2. I learned that normally there are 4 parts to a blog, the header, the footer, the sidebars, and last but not least the body. One thing about blogging that sounds exciting is being able to connect with other people and just be able to tell other people about our life (I LOVE TO TYPE!) Can’t wait to start blogging i think it will be so much fun!!

3. one thing i learned was that there is a side bar and a header a body also a footer.
    Im looking forward to having people comment on my book reviews.

4. I plan to read about 25 books this year and i also want to do a couple book talks about some of my favorites.I’m super excited about student blogging this year. I cant wait to express my thoughts and ideas about different books.

5. Something I learned from the video was that most blog themes are made up of four main sections. There is the header, the side bar, the footer, and the body. One thing about blogging that sounds exciting is making a theme.

6. I really liked this video it taught me a lot about blogging- i learned that a post and a page are different things i am looking forward to are sharing things and commenting on others posts.

7. 1.) One thing i learned from the video was that you can make your own theme! I didn’t think you could make a background! Cant wait to start decorating!

2.) im super exited to start blogging because i can’t wait to share with people what i did over the weekends and what I’m doing for the holidays and i would like to see more about the decorating!

8. I learned that posts and pages are very different and I’m very excited for blogging, because it’s a way to interact with the world. Also, I can’t wait to personalize my blog page!

• Jack-

You can simply post another…and tell me that you’d like me to take your second comment. I’ll delete the one that’s incorrect. I approve all comments–and will do the same on all student blogs. 🙂 Thanks for asking. Great question, Jack.

Mrs. Rombach

• Ian-

Be sure that you follow the directions on the blog (hint: Answer the two questions I posed). Thanks, Ian!

Mrs. Rombach

9. i learned a lot, mainly that you can have your newest posts on the post section! I think that having a lot of followers would be exciting.

10. I’ve learned that Pages are different from Posts.

I can blog about books and discuss them with young readers such as myself=P Yay! So exited now.
    Can you make your blog about anything?

• Yes, you can blog about anything in between the blog writing assignments I give you. Typically, I’ll give you several options for possible topics to write about and you’ll choose one for your Language Arts assignment. In between, you can blog about anything…how your NFL football team played over the weekend, a book you just finished and want to recommend, all the reasons you love chocolate, a family recipe…anything! 🙂 Most important is to WRITE and to COMMENT. By reading and commenting on other student blogs, your worlds gets larger instantly. You’ll see! What you put into this experience is what you’ll get out. 🙂

See you Friday!
      Mrs. Rombach

11. one thing i learned was that blog is made from the words web and log one thing am exited for is creating a theme for our blog 🙂 B)

• This note goes out to all of my students-

Be sure to check your comments before you hit the submit button. Be sure you’re starting your sentences with a capital letter and ending with punctuation. Similarly, always capitalize the letter “I”. I realize that in texting many of us simply type all lower case into our phone. In the blogosphere, however, it’s not as casual. Grammar and mechanics matter so it’s important to be attentive. Read over what you’ve written. Check that you’ve put in punctuation if you have two sentences.

Next week, I’ll grade your comment. Did you follow directions? Did you answer all the questions? Did you write complete sentences? Did you use proper punctuation and capitalization? Is everything spelled correctly? Let’s start now getting into the habit of checking over our comments…before we leap into creating posts and pages (coming soon!). Thanks to everyone who completed this portion of their homework. This weekend, I’ll be creating your blogs based on the blog names you submit on your homework. I can’t wait to see your creative blog names.

Until then, Mrs. Rombach

12. 1. i have learned thatanyone from around the world can see my blog posts!
    2. i am exited to share my thoughts and ideas to everyone and enjoy creating and designing my own blog!!!
    im over all exited to do the bloging cant wait Mrs.Rombach

• Pranav-
      Look for the survey next week. I thought my post about blogging was long enough without adding the link for the Google survey. I’ll include that in next week’s homework. 🙂

13. One thing I learned from the video was that blog is made up from two words; Web and Log. One thing I am excited about for the blog is customizing my theme for my blog.

14. Cool video I learned about the basic build of a blog and what it needs to have to be successful. I’m also going to try to read at least 15 novels by the end of the year

15. I learned from the video that the origin of the word “blog” is just Web, and Log, combined into one word.

For reading goals, I want to read 34 books through the school year
    I also want to start reading more before I go to bed.

• Hi Jack-

Remember to carefully read over what I’ve written in the blog post and respond to the questions. I asked (1) what you learned from watching the video and (2) one thing about blogging that has you excited. Can you add another comment? Thanks! Mrs. Rombach

16. One thing I learned from the blog is that it has parts. For example it has the footing, heading, sidebars, and the body.Something I am excited about in the blog is commenting. While getting comments like “love your blog” is great and all, getting questions that you can answer and starting conversations is so much more fun.

17. I learned that there are 4 parts of a blog the header, the side bars, the footer, and the body! I think it is cool that we get to choose our back round and express our inner self! sorry I’m a day late Mrs.Rombach!

18. I learned that there’s five section to a blog.The header the sides and the place where you write.I am the most excited to create my own blog.

• Joey-

Remember to answer the two questions my blog post asks–and only use your first name and last initial when leaving comments. 🙂 We protect our privacy. 🙂

Cheers,
      Mrs. Rombach

19. Hi Mrs.Rombach!

I love how you ended this post with cheerio! Maybe I should give it a try in real life! I remember this video! We watched it last year. I won’t forget to try those chocolate covered bugs though!

Stay Happy 🙂
    Quynh-Thi

20. After I watched the video, I learned that blog comes from the words web and log. This fact was very intriguing to me because i never new that was what the word blog came from. One thing about blogging that I’m excited about is that we get to tell our thoughts and opinions to the world. I wonder if a kid from China would see my blog and agree with my opinions.

21. I learned that people of al ages can blog. I also learned that people blog for work to and I already knew about the,school and blogging for fun =)

22. Hi Mrs. Rombach! I learned that you can decorate the background of your blog. I think blogging will be fun because we can express our creativity. =)

23. Hello Mrs.Rombach! I loved your posts, and I enjoyed the iridescent video. Even though I already have a blog it was very interesting. I think it’s awesome that you students are going to have their own blogs. It’s so exciting! I also got my blog when I was in sixth grade last year. It was so much fun. Blogs aren’t just fun though, they also take a lot of work. You have to keep updated on your blog, or you’ll lose visitors. A good way to attract visitors is writing a lot of very interested post, that are eye catching. You have to evaluate your own blog, too. I look at mine and ask myself. Does my theme stand out? Are my posts interesting? Do I update my blog enough, so I can get more visitors? These are some important question that I ask myself. When you get your blog I would suggest to make a self check list. I hope I get to see your student blogs soon! I’ll make sure to be visiting some of them,and writing comments, too. Mrs.Rombach, do you have a little self checklist for yourself? When do you plan on getting your student blogs?
    – Cooper

• Cooper –

What timely comments you made here. I’ll definitely share out your expertise with my new bloggers. 🙂 Thanks so much for stopping by. I’ll come visit your blog…if you leave me a link to click and connect. 🙂

Mrs. Rombach

24. what I learned about the video is that a blog has four main parts and what sounds exciting about blogging is that you get to pick a theme for your blog

25. 1.) One thing I learned from the video is that the most important area of your blog is the body, the main content area. Usually this is the primary reason people have come to your blog. It is where your thoughts and ideas come to life as you share them with others!

2.) One thing about blogging that sounds exciting is getting to share your hard work with people across the area. I’m excited and looking forward to start my blog on Thursday!

26. Hi Mrs. Rombach,

I have learned from the video that you can put widgets in your blog to share other links. I think blogging is going to be fun this year because I can have people look at my thoughts.

From,
    Shriya Srinivas B-2-5

27. 1. I learned that there are five parts in a blog
    2. 1 thing that sounds exiting about my blogging is how I will be able to post my writing and people will be able to give me tips and advice to improve my writing

28. I learned that the bottom of the page holds good information that never changes. I think blogging sounds really exciting because I’m one of those people who loves to talk and share my information with the rest of the world. I truly believe that it’d be really cool!

29. I like the video it will make the blog much easier for homework and post. Some day I want to to start a blog called “JakeIdeas”, do you think I can do it Mrs.Rombach?

• Jake-

Add that blog title to your list of three. I’ll see if it’s available. Make sure you have two backups, just in case. 🙂

Mrs. Rombach

30. One thing I learned is that bloggers can have subscribers. Something about blogging that sounds exciting is I could have subscribers when I get my blog!

31. I learned that there are five parts to a blog. A header, the two side bars, the body and the footer. I am excited about spilling all my fun yet peculiar thoughts with the world

32. One thing I learned is that the word blog comes from the words web and log.
    The idea of possibly meeting new people through my blog is one thing that is exciting to me.

• Hi Patrick. We’ll blog about books, about our favorite animals, about school, and more. I will moderate all the posts for the first few months, and I will always oversee comments. In the year since I started blogging with students, I’ve found that this forum encourages growth in writing unlike anything else you’ll do. If your Dad has questions, please have him contact me via email. I invite you all to read over the posts by my alumni bloggers from last year, as well as visit some of the classrooms I collaborate with online (see Blogging Friends). Hope that helps. 🙂 Mrs. Rombach

33. I learned that pages and blog posts are not the same thing. I’m exited about blogging because you can customize them and post fun things on them.

34. great video!this is really going to help me make my own great blog!
    ~i would like to know how to make your blog more interesting?
    ~also i would like to know if you can view your blog on an iphone,ipad,and kindle fire?
    i look forward to see more of your videos and i will make sure that i use your tips!

• Brianna –
      Yes, you can view your blog on an iphone, ipad, etc. We’ll brainstorm ways to encourage visitors to stop by and comment. And, I’ll show you how to post pictures, videos, and links as we move along this process, one step at a time. 🙂 Remember to create three original names–part of this week’s homework! 🙂 Cheers, Mrs. Rombach

35. I plan to read, about 40 books a year. I’m excited for student blogging because it gives a chance to express, if I had a good day or a bad day. One thing I learned from this video is that, the part of a blog at the bottom is called the “the footer”.

• Gia-
      Remember to follow the directions that are given on my blog post. I ask for you to answer two questions. I’ll be looking forward to your replies. 🙂 – Mrs. Rombach